Friday 19 October 2012

Banh mi bay, satisfying my Vietnamese food cravings...

Hi everyone, how's the week been treating you all? I have to say, I have always been a fan of Vietnamese food, but sadly in London I have not been able to find a good Vietnamese food spot. So when I heard about Banh Mi Bay from a friend I jumped to the chance to try it.......

Banh Mi Bay in Holborn

The takeaway queue at 13:30
The restaurant was completely packed during lunch hours
After something like 20 minutes waiting, the tables started to clear.
They also sell some Vietnamese food products as well (but it's more expensive than in supermarkets)
Soda Chanh (Homemade Lemonade) £2.50.

 Quite different to what I usually have in Hong Kong and the ones I make at home, would preferred them to use more lemons and not white sugar but honey, but hey! Too pricey though. Probably won't order again....
Cari Ga (Chicken curry with rice) £8.00

I didn’t try this dish, but I heard it was really good!
Thit Bo £7.90 (Chargrilled garlic beef with bun)
I didn't order this dish, but I certainly managed to get quite a few mouthfuls into my belly! I loved the succulent beef with the fragrant lemongrass flavours, it was truly awesome! The noodles were really good but I found it a little salty.

Chargrilled satay chicken (gà sa tế) with bún and salad with Nước mm pha sauce (£7.50).

The chicken was slightly dry, but the taste was really good, most of the time satay can be quite salty but this was quite good, the noodles itself lacked the chewiness I expected but overall it was quite good. (Remember to pour the sauce onto the noodles and mix)
Chargrilled satay chicken (gà sa tế) with bún and salad with Nước mm pha sauce (£7.50).
The chicken was slightly dry, but the taste was really good, most of the time satay can be quite salty but this was quite good, the noodles itself lacked the chewiness I expected but overall it was quite good. (Remember to pour the sauce onto the noodles and mix)

Chargrilled garlic pork (tht heo) with bún and Nước mm pha sauce (£7.50).
This replaced my favourite satay chicken and became my new favourite dish. The pork was great, most of the time with pork you get that weird pork flavour, but this was cooked really nicely, filled with lemongrass flavour, only downside it was quite burnt so I had to throw away quite a lot, and some were more juicier than others. Overall awesome though! 

Value for money: 6/10, Environment: 6/10 (I found it much too noisy and crowded), Service 5.5-6/10 (Not the friendliest service to be honest). 

Final verdict: 
Would I come back? Maybe if I was really for Vietnamese food.

Banh Mi Bay

4-6 Theobalds Road
Holborn
London
WC1X 8PN

Monday-Friday 11:30-16:00 and 17:30-9:45
Saturday: 12:00-21:45

Sunday: Closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment